Monday, January 14, 2008

A Unknown Soldier


My Name is Thomas James Scrivens. People just call me Tom. This is my 8th Year of doing Model Soldiers, this is my 5th year of doing Gamesworkshop.


( My Collection of my Soldiers, in the English oak Glass Cabneit)

This is my Story.....

When I was a young boy, my father loved British History, still does. But he always showed my the modern history, I didn't like this.... One day he showed me the film "Zulu" 100 British Soldiers fighting 1000 Zulu Warriors. I was extremely surprised and fascinated by the British. So years passed on and I studied British History. But.... I didn't realise during that time their were model soldiers. Dad told me once about the model soldier, during his school life in Oxford, one of the boys brought some model soldiers to class. The teacher told him to come to the front and present them, The boy was in such passion about them.... There was a Russian boy in the class, he was very coarse and selfish, he teased the girls and did some horrible stuff, He said to the boy at the front " What are those ugly boogers" he said. Those are British Grenadier Guards he said. ' What did they do' he replied, well said the British Chap you was happy to reply, They kicked your country's ass in the Chimera War. Every body started to laugh at him.

I started to buy some Airfix kits with soldiers from the Napoleonic War. British Infantry was my first. After months go past I went past a store at the market in Hobart. He man he was selling his model soldiers, this were made by hand, not assmelbed by actual metal and special equiptment made together. And professionaly hand painted. I brought some, but was amazed at the prices. $15 each model. After the first Lord of the Rings movie, I loved it dearly. On the news they were showing, Lord of the Rings Tabletop Games, Every second of that Tv add made me think, My sister sarah said "Tom if you get the first Issue, I will pay for the next" So I said to my self "What do I haft to loose". The next day my friend Nick showd some models that Gamesworkshop do, Me, Wade, Daniel, Allan,Araon, Josh, Micheal and Matt we did it from. I still remeber that Day, eyes open it was. We all did it, but Nick did all three of them. The later week I did some research on the shop Gamesworkshop. On the Saturday Dad and I went into Melbourne. I was excited, Melbourne
(My Unpainted Soldiers, over 300 unpainted)

Gamesworkshop was in Bourke Street, today its in Lonsdale Street Melbourne Central. As I walked down the arcade I saw the yellow Sign Gamesworkshop. Then As I walked in my life changed, the smell and all the products. Melbourne is not the same anymore, Back then its was GW Heaven. I was looking at a Mines of Moria set, its was amazing, a big man, with a bread, strong voice appeared. Let me show you how the game works. I remember it very well. That day I brought Terrain and a ringwrath.

As years went on, and I collected the issues and brought blister packs from GW. Half the group dispared because they were in Yr. 6 so they had to move on. But there was still a strong comparsion in the group. We had Saturday battles and Thursday at School was free time day during 11:00am to 1:00pm. One of the boys in the group was being bulled so the Princpal had him away from a fellow student, so when they had free time, we could go to the old bluestone building and have the building to our selfs. We just battled. Hardly anyone believe me but its true.



(My Books on GW and Model Soldiers, many other books are somewhere)

One Day in Kilmore, Victoria, I saw a maggazine. It was White Dwarf. I flicked through it, I was amazed, today I still have it, I treasure it, Today I have more than 34 maggazines on. White Dwarf has been a book of entertainment for me.

I was in Yr. 6. I wanted to try Warhammer. Warhammer 40k was sort of a distant thing, I had no disire what so ever for doing it... I mean It was not in my mind duirng the time. I was going to Assumption college Kilmore and my 2 friends Jenna and Allan were going with me. They got the news, they weren't coming. I was alone. So I lefted a wonderful group and search for another. Coming to Assumption might not have any guys you do it. Well I was wrong.....

On the first day of Yr 7 I saw two shy boys hiding behind a book. Not just any book, but mines of moria, this was when I got off of Lord of the Rings, I kept walking past them saying stuff. Each day I got to know them, Rohan Nichols and Saun Parker. They would not stop talking about Lord of the Rings, today you would not mention LOTR because 40k to them is the God of the hobby, But I was doing Warhammer, they kept saying especially Rohan "Lord of the Rings is the best" well today I know him, he wouldn't dare say Lord of the Rings is the best. But let me give you a flashback. In our first Science Lesson, Adam Debono would know what I'm talking about, the teacher wanted us to know us better. The teacher said "Tom" ' What is your hobby" Adam herd those words " Warhammer Ms" At Lunchtime he went up to me, he said so you do Warhammer we were a bit shy towards each other but we got to know each other that way.
( My Workshop for Painting and Assmelbying Model Soldiers)

As the year past, I notice Rohan and Saun talking about the models of Warhammer 40,000. After the big break I didn't see any of them. When I came back, I noticed they weren't talking LOTR stuff. Rohan, has got an interest in Orks in 40k, Saun however has some Models of Chaos. The turn of a new generation has come. In 2007 my hobby was expanding, I was doing Imperial Guard. I was going to England. England is home to the model soldiers. Many people in the group were expecting me to get many Gamesworkshop Models. But I didn't. I got some, but more traditional model soldiers. In 2007 was a real test, I was mentoring Patrick Harding and James Reeves. Patrick Harding wanted to do Tau, and James Reeves wanted to do Gondor in Lord of the Rings. After weeks, Hayden a boy in the group wanted him to do Warhammer 40,000. James got into Warhammer 40,000. Today James does not need mentioring but does want some help in the deep aspects of the hobby. Patrick today does Space Marines, he has come along way in the hobby, but sometimes need help, but he really wants to have an attachment of Tau. Sometimes we talk on Skype and discuss our models.

Today I do Imperial Guard/Space Marines and soon about to do Warhammer with James Reeves, I'm hoping to go back to my true army, Bretonnia. I hope my good progress continues and I hope this website attracts people into GW and model soldiers

"The model soldier, is a model that represents, a nature, a great peroid of history, the model soldier itself is marvellous when painted, every minatures deserves a good turn, a good painting"

2 comments:

Tom Scrivens said...

Another Day, Another Soldier painted. My life is based apon buying, assemblying, painting, and gaming model soldiers. But I'm not Partism. I'm not that dorkish, nerdish or geekish on the hobby. I do many othe stuff like, golf, pc games, media, business worker and I also like to travel.

AndrewO said...

im also a games workshop player i'm half way trough a apocalypse rmy if you have any advice email me at andrew.o.rourke.aor@mail.com thanks cool cllection